I am hitting my “quarter-life” in a month and 6 days. Though I am just moving up one notch older, it feels like an enormous step towards actual adulthood. I’ve had some goals play in my mind on what to achieve before I turn the big 2-5 but I always forget to write them down and in turn, I end up forgetting.
The link will lead you to an article on a mini quarter-life bucket list that you can use or pattern for your own. Anyway, I’m posting the list here and ticking off items which I’ve already done, just for kicks. Maybe it will help me reflect on how I’ve been living for the past 24++ years, maybe not—I don’t really know. What I do know is that goals like these always inspire me to be bolder and better.
25 Things To Do Before You Turn 25
By JANUARY NELSON
1. Make peace with your parents. Whether you finally recognize that they actually have your best interests in mind or you forgive them for being flawed human beings, you can’t happily enter adulthood with that familial brand of resentment.
2. Kiss someone you think is out of your league; kiss models and med students and entrepreneurs with part-time lives in Dubai and don’t worry about if they’re going to call you afterward.
Minimize your passivity.
4. Work a service job to gain some understanding of how tipping works, how to keep your cool around assholes, how a few kind words can change someone’s day.
5. Recognize freedom as a 5:30 a.m. trip to the diner with a bunch of strangers you’ve just met.
Try not to beat yourself up over having obtained a ‘useless’ Bachelor’s Degree.
If you’re employed in any capacity, open a savings account.
Make a habit of going outside, enjoying the light, relearning your friends, forgetting the internet.
9. Go on a 4-day, brunch-fueled bender.
10. Start a relationship with your crush by telling them that you want them. Directly. Like, look them in the face and say it to them. Say, I want you. I want to be with you.
Learn to say ‘no’ — to yourself. Don’t keep wearing high heels if you hate them; don’t keep smoking if you’re disgusted by the way you smell the morning after; stop wasting entire days on your couch if you’re going to complain about missing the sun.
Take time to revisit the places that made you who you are: the apartment you grew up in, your middle school, your hometown. These places may or may not be here forever; you definitely won’t be.
13. Find a hobby that makes being alone feel lovely and empowering and like something to look forward to.
14. Think you know yourself until you meet someone better than you.
15. Forget who you are, what your priorities are, and how a person should be.
16. Identify your fears and instead of letting them dictate your every move, find and talk to people who have overcome them. Don’t settle for experiencing .000002% of what the world has to offer because you’re afraid of getting on a plane.
Make a habit of cleaning up and letting go. Just because it fit at one point doesn’t mean you need to keep it forever — whether ‘it’ is your favorite pair of pants or your ex.
Stop hating yourself. (I never did!)
19. Go out and watch that movie, read that book, listen to that band you already lied about watching, reading, listening to.
20. Take advantage of health insurance while you have it. (I don’t have one. So the goal is to get one?)
21. Make a habit of telling people how you feel, whether it means writing a gushing fan-girl email to someone whose work you love or telling your boss why you deserve a raise.
Date someone who says, “I love you” first.
23. Leave the country under the premise of “finding yourself.” This will be unsuccessful. Places do not change people. Instead, do a lot of solo drinking, read a lot of books, have sex in dirty hostels, and come home when you start to miss it.
24. Suck it up and buy a Macbook Pro. (Getting there!)
Quit that job that’s making you miserable, end the relationship that makes you act like a lunatic, lose the friend whose sole purpose in life is making you feel like you’re perpetually on the verge of vomiting.
- prettypleaseee likes this
- kathchan likes this
- diiiiing reblogged this from dueygee and added:
- dueygee reblogged this from incessantlycold
- incessantlycold reblogged this from magelbagel
- incessantlycold likes this
- kupasnarosas likes this
- dre likes this
- magelbagel posted this